3.09.2005

Real World Math, Priceless

Today I am subbing in this "real world" class in which the kids learn about getting jobs and paying bills and whatnot. I am teaching them to fill out an expenses sheet.

So I say, "Okay, pretend we are planning a party, what do we need?"
And the kids say, "Pizza."
(Well the front-row kids say "Pizza"; the back-row kids say "Beer")

So I write "Pizza" on the board and ask, "How many pizzas?"
The kids say "Five."
Great five pizzas. So far, so good.
(The kids are actually engaged and working with me on this)

So I say, "How much per pizza?"
And the kids say "$4 each."
WTF? Where do they buy their pizza?
They pretty much agree on this price, so I put it on the board.

Here's what we end up with:
5 Pizzas at $4 each
4 Sodas (2 Liters) at $1 each
3 Bags of Chips at $1 each
1 Pkg. of Cups at $.99
1 Pkg. of Plates at $.99
---and---
1 DJ at $300

Hey, you've gotta have priorities in the real world, folks.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home