3.04.2005

And So it Begins

This is a lesson in life.

Today I was subbing an English class in which I was showing the classic film The Miracle Worker. This is an old black and white film about Helen Keller. An extremely annoying 9th grader in the front row begins to question the lesson plan.

Student: Do we have to watch this???
Me: Yup.
Student: This is so dumb. Can't we watch another movie?
Me: Nope.
Student: I have another movie in my backpack we could watch.
Me: Nope.
Student: Is this whole movie in black and white?
Me: Yup
Student: This sucks.
Me: Sorry.
Student: I hate these movies. This is lame. (And on and on, you get the picture.)
Me: I'll tell you what. I'd be happy to send you down to OCD where there will be no movies shown all day.

(OCD=On Campus Detention, for those of you who do not have the complete and utter joy of working with high school students all day long.)

This student, during the course of the block, needed a pass to the bathroom, a pass to the nurse, and did not take the required movie notes. This in itself is not unusual.

Herein lies the rub: 2 blocks later the kid is late to health class. This means that the student will get an unexcused tardy, unless the student has a pass. So the kid dodges security and somehow makes it up to my room to ask for a pass to class.

Can I give the kid a pass? Yup.
Do I? Nope.

And that, folks, is a high school lesson in reaping what you sow.
"If you don't pay the rent, don't curse the landlord when you're out on the street."

Next installment of Confessions of a High School Sub: I am Satan.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home